My Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Remove vocals from an audio song using Audacity: a free audio editor and recorder.

Many of us have a singing talent and want to sing on a good playing music. But many a times we don't get the write kind of music on which we can sing. We also sometime listens to a song and think I wish I could fit my vocals into this song. And we start searching the way to make it possible.

So here is something that can make it possible.

This post displays a step by step description to removing vocals from an audio file (e.g .mp3, .wav etc) using Audacity, which are recorded in stereo type. Follow these steps:

Step 1: Download and install Audacity from http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ . Run it.

Step 2:  Go to File->Open and select the file you want to remove vocals from. This will import the audio track.





Step 3: Click on the down arrow on the left hand side top corner of the imported track menu and select Split Stereo Track. This will split the single stereo track into two; Left and Right.

Step 4: Select the 'Right' track by clicking on the area above 'mute' and 'solo' buttons. This will highlight the 'Right' track.

Step 5: Go to Effect->Invert.
Step 6: Change 'Left' track to 'Mono' channel by clicking down arrow of 'Left' track.
 
Step 7: Change 'Right' track to 'Mono' channel too similarly as above.
 
Step 8: That's it for removing the vocal. You can now play the song and observe the difference. Follow next few steps to export this vocal removed track to an .mp3 file.
Step 9: Go to File-> Export. And give the file name and other information you what to have for this track.




Step 10: Now, to export the track to an .mp3 file you need lame encoder. If you have it, then its OK. If you don't click on the Download button and install it. And then browse the location for lame encoder (in Windows case lame_enc.dll).

LAME Encoder for windows

This will export the vocal removed track to a .mp3 file.

That's it! You are done!

Please write your comments, suggestion, inputs, as they are always welcome.

11 comments:

  1. i tried the above.the vocals aer still there on the track :S please help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it a mono or stereo track you are trying to remove the vocals from?

    I showed in the post a stereo track. And if your track is stereo then, Audacity must remove the vocals.

    By the way, can you share the track name/details (or track itself) with me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried a bengali song which is stereo, removed some vocal. but not enough to extract and make a track. any ideas how to remove the vocals completely?

      Delete
    2. I think it works with no Hindi song tried a lot but a bit of dim sounded vocals still persist

      Delete
    3. It will work only if the vocals are centered. When music is recorded, it is sometimes the case that vocals are recorded by a single microphone, and that single vocal track is used for the vocals in both channels. The other instruments in the song are recorded by multiple microphones, so that they sound different in both channels. Subtracting one channel from the other takes away everything that is ``in common'' between those two channels which, if we're lucky, means removing the vocals.

      Of course, things rarely work so well. If you have a badly-behaved file, sure the vocals are gone, but so is the body of the music!

      Delete
  3. Hi

    I have on telugu song for which i wanted to remove vocals. I did exactly what you mentioned above.But the vocals are still there.Please help me fix this.I can share the song with you.Please send me your email address.

    Thanks in Advance

    Sri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post but didn't work for me. I even tried new plugins like Inverter/Karaoke. I wonder if anyone successfully did this for any bollywood songs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gawwwwwwwwwwwd thank you so much !! alot of help :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really glad I've came across this informative post, this really helped me out quite a bit, by answering all my questions properly, hopefully the site will grow bigger and more popular as ever it was. Keep up the good work and I'm sure I'll visit you up someday soon for more great articles. You may find great articles and music production tools at: http://www.lucidsamples.com by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried the above steps on bollywood songs.It still has voice

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the tutorial about removing vocal..

    ReplyDelete